Business Associations typically perform activities that support collective development and growth of undertakings within a specific sector. Such activities include networking, information gathering, research, and establishing industry standards. These associations play a critical role in establishing best practices, and technical standards. Through this incentive, Malta Enterprise intends to promote the development and continuity of small Business Associations that aim to facilitate collaboration and develop their relevant business sector.
Duration of the incentive
This scheme will remain ongoing until 31st December 2020.
Malta Enterprise will allocate an annual budget of €100,000 for this scheme.
A Business Association is a membership based organization engaged in promoting the business interests of a specific sector. Business Associations aim to achieve common objectives that are expected to support growth, innovation and development of their member undertakings.
Business Associations should have:
- Specific targets that address the development needs of the relevant business sector; and
- An open membership policy allowing all entities in the relevant sector to become members.
Malta Enterprise supports Business Associations that enhance collaboration between undertakings in the following industries:
- Industrial Services
- Information and Communication Technologies
- Aviation and Maritime
- Creative Enterprises
- Digital Media
- Life Sciences
Eligible Business Associations
In order to be eligible for this incentive, Business Associations must represent at least ten single undertakings active in the same relevant sector or five single undertakings mainly engaged in a specific activity as defined by NACE rev 2 at four digit level. Furthermore, they must not have more than 100 registered members.
Malta Enterprise will provide grants to cover the following costs.
- Wage costs of Coordinator/Administrator
The wage costs of a Coordinator or Administrator employed by the Association and having the role to animate and support the association’s activities may be supported.
It must be explicitly indicated in the employment contract that the tasks and duties that are to be carried out by the Coordinator / Administrator relate only to the Business Association. Wages shall be calculated on the net pay as indicated in the employee’s pay slip. On a monthly basis, support will be capped at €600 per month which shall be increased to €800 if the employee holds a tertiary education level (minimum MQRC 6). In cases where the Coordinator/Administrator is employed on a part-time basis the maximum support shall be reduced proportionally according to the number of hours worked.
- Annual memberships
A supported Business Association may claim up to €2,000 in relation to costs related to memberships/affiliation with international associations.
- Attendance to international sectorial events held outside Malta
The following costs incurred for attendance and/or participation in pre-approved international events relevant to the Business Association’s scope may be supported:
- Participation fees paid to the event organisers
- Air travel costs covering two representatives of the Business Association attending an event
- The reimbursement for any travel to Europe and the Mediterranean region shall be capped at €250 per person while the reimbursement for any travel outside Europe and the Mediterranean region shall be capped at €500 per person
- A per diem allowance may be granted for a maximum of two persons. If the event is held in Europe or in the Mediterranean region the per diem shall be limited to five days or the days of the event (whichever is the shortest). If the event is held outside Europe or the Mediterranean region the per diem shall be limited to seven days or the days of the event plus two additional days (whichever is the shortest).
Aid will be approved on an annual basis, in the form of a grant and each Business Association may receive up to € 10,000 per annum.