Malta has over the past year attracted a number of expatriates to work in Malta, both nationals of one of the EU member states as well as third-country nationals. Some of the expatriates are digital nomads who have been attracted by Malta’s lifestyle and climate as well as due to the fact that English is an official language which makes it easier for them to communicate.
The aim of the Nomad Residence Permit (NRP) is to grant non-EU nationals the right to live and work in Malta remotely using the sound telecommunication infrastructure which Malta has managed to build over the years. The right to stay in Malta is granted either in the form of a residence permit or in the form of a national visa depending on the duration of the stay. The Malta Nomad Residence Permit is an attractive residence scheme available to non-EU nationals, seeking the opportunity to relocate to Malta to work remotely, whilst retaining the current employment abroad. The permit will be issued for up to one year and can be renewed upon application at the discretion of the government agency. Nomad Residence Permit holders may stay in Malta on the basis of such a permit for a maximum period of three years.
What are the benefits to be obtained if granted the status of a Nomad Resident in Malta?
- Fast process of application forms which usually take 1-2 Months
- Freedom to reside & work in Malta whilst keeping current employment abroad
- Family members may also be included
- Maltese residence card giving visa-free access to the Schengen Area
- High standard of education and health care
- No personal income tax (we suggest that the pertinent tax advice is first obtained from Maltese tax professionals such as ACT. We are in a position to provide the pertinent advice accordingly.
Who is eligible to submit an application to become a Nomad Resident Permit holder
- Non-EU nationals, thus EU, EEA and Swiss nationals are excluded
- Individuals in possession of a valid travel document
- Individuals whose gross income is of at least € 2,700 on a monthly basis
- Individuals who are holders of a health Insurance policy
- Individuals must buy or rent immovable property in Malta
- Individuals who can demonstrate that they can work remotely, independently of their location
How can we assist?
We can assist you in the preparation and submission to the Maltese Authorities of the application and the supporting documentation for yourself and your family members to be granted the status of a Nomad Resident. ACT Advisory Services Limited (‘ACT’) is a company registered in Malta with registration number C65093. ACT is duly authorised to act as a licensed Malta immigration agent in terms of the Agents (Licences) Regulations, 2020 (L.N. 435 of 2020) and bound by the “Licence Agreement and Code of Conduct and Ethics for Agents” entered into with Community Malta Agency.