International markets present various opportunities to forward-looking businesses. Undertakings willing to build capacity to compete in different markets tend to be more innovative in their product/service offerings and processes. This incentive aims to support undertakings that are willing to establish new markets, or to introduce a new service or product in an existing international market.
Duration of the incentive
This scheme will remain ongoing until 31st December 2020.
The total budget for this scheme is € 3 million for the duration of the scheme with an average annual expenditure of €600,000.
This incentive is open to undertakings whose purpose is to intensify their internationalisation activities. The different actions that can be supported are defined into separate Schedules which may be available to specific business activities.
The beneficiary must be an undertaking registered as one (1) of the following:
- An undertaking incorporated under the Companies Act, being a partnership ‘en nom collectif’, ‘en commandite’ or a limited liability company;
- Self-employed persons registered with Jobsplus.
- Co-operatives registered with the Co-operatives Board.
Maximum aid and applicable intensity
The total aid that may be granted to a single undertaking is limited to €90,000 over any period of three (3) consecutive calendar years.
Malta Enterprise may reimburse up to a maximum of 50% of the eligible costs. Per Diem costs shall be reimbursed at up to 50% of the official Government rate.
Malta Enterprise, in collaboration with Trade Malta may establish lower aid intensities by economic activity and specifically exclude certain activities from benefiting from this measure. Such capping shall be based on the primary NACE activity of the undertaking and shall be published on the website of the Malta Enterprise.
Supported actions consist of:
- Support for participation in Business to Business (B2B) International Trade Events and Fairs – An eligible undertaking may be awarded support to facilitate the participation in B2B international trade events and trade fairs. Such events are intended to primarily support the development of trade between business undertakings established in different regions.
- Trade and Company Missions – Undertakings may be supported to participate in trade missions organised or endorsed by Malta Enterprise or Trade Malta. Trade missions provide a structured approach to nurture collaboration and business development, providing business operators with the opportunity to develop their internationalisation potential and help entrepreneurs gain knowledge on how to operate in specific markets.
- Participation in Formal Networking and Brokerage Events – An eligible single undertaking may be awarded support to facilitate participation in a Brokerage or Networking Event organised with the scope of developing and enhancing productive economic activities. Support will only be provided if an employee or director of the applicant undertaking is present at the event.
- Market Preparedness and Development – An eligible single undertaking may be awarded support to address market preparedness and development capabilities to enter a specific market. This support must be linked to an Export Market Development Plan covering at least a period of twelve (12) months which must be endorsed by Trade Malta. Assistance approved on the Export Market Development Plan is limited to thirty (36) months.
- Collaborative Internationalisation Projects – Through the sharing of resources, undertakings forming part of a collaborative network can benefit from transfer of knowledge, combined capacity, improved business prospects and achieve higher competitiveness. Support may be awarded when at least three (3) independent undertakings, at least two (2) of which are SMEs, that work together on a new joint export project and submit an Export Market Development Plan covering at least twelve (12) months and which is endorsed by Trade Malta. The costs related to the collaborative projects should be equally split between the participating undertakings. The aid shall be apportioned accordingly and accounted for in the individual take-up of the participating enterprises.
- International Call for Tenders – International Tenders are an opportunity for business undertakings to expand into new markets.